Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Traveling Mercies

This week, some friends from my church family are in Ghana helping with the building of a children's hospital in Berekum.  So their comfort and safety is heavy on my mind. 

The traveling mercy prayers I say are meant to ask God to watch over my loved ones while we are apart, but, in reality, it's the work of earthly citizens to make sure they are welcomed, safe, and protected; treated with grace, kindness and hospitality.  I worry and pray that these citizens are doing that job well. 

But what about the rest of us?  Clichéd as this sounds, we are, all of us, travelers.  Moving like transients through this world; whether walking around our hometowns or on a mission trip halfway around the world. 

It's our job as stewards of God's love and compassion to make sure that all travelers in our midst are also welcomed, safe and protected, whether they are from another continent, from another country, or from within a 5-mile radius.  Whether they are visiting dignitaries, or, simply, faces we don't recognize sitting three pews over.

"Continue to love each other like brothers, and remember always to welcome strangers, for by doing this, some people have entertained angels without knowing it."



Forever I will move like the world that turns beneath me
And when I lose my direction I'll look up to the sky
And when the black cloak drags upon the ground
I'll be ready to surrender, and remember
Well we're all in this together
If I live the life I'm given, I won't be scared to die

No comments:

Post a Comment