Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Comeuppance

"The retribution of God from heaven is being revealed against the ungodliness and injustice of human beings who in their injustice hold back the truth. For what can be known about God is perfectly plain to them, since God has made it plain to them. Ever since the creation of the world, the invisible existence of God and his everlasting power have been clearly seen by the mind's understanding of created things. And so these people have no excuse. They knew God and yet they did not honour him as God or give thanks to him, but their arguments became futile and their uncomprehending minds were darkened." (Rom 1:18-22)
So what, exactly can be known about God?  What is plain to everyone?  Nature and its radical design?  In another translation it's "eternal power and divine nature" as seen in creation - as if that's easy to nail down.  (I like that my translation states that invisible existence is clearly seen - intentional wordplay?) 

Regardless, I was concerned as I read this text, in light of being in one of my periodic bouts of pseudo-agnosticism.  Am I one of the ungodly and unjust?  I figured I'd better check it out. 

While one definition of ungodliness indicates atheism, I prefer an interpretation I saw somewhere over the last few hours (*insert plagiarism disclaimer here*), that being ungodly doesn't necessarily mean you believe that God doesn't exist, just that you act like He doesn't. 

So, injustice - or unrighteousness - going against the virtue of justice, denying another's right relationship with God.  Could this also be knowingly withholding the Gospel from others?   Depriving another's right to that knowledge?  And, while I don't think I'm prohibiting the good news from getting out there, is my reticence, my laziness in stewardship of the Word, in some way an accessory to the crime?  Is that even possible if all of God's glory is plain to see?

In my struggle with secular attitude, am I actually courting God's wrath?  Or must I have to be purposely hurtful in withholding the truth, as opposed to accidentally ignorant of the impact of my words or works, to garner the comeuppance?  And did I now just become aware of that ignorance? 

Too many questions.  Damn.

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God:
But only he who sees, takes off his shoes,
The rest sit round it, and pluck blackberries,
And daub their natural faces unaware
More and more, from the first similitude.
(Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Aurora Leigh)

No comments:

Post a Comment