Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Waste Not. Or At Least Less.


"Simplicity of living, if deliberately chosen, implies a compassionate approach to life.  It means that we are choosing to live our daily lives with some degree of conscious appreciation of the condition of the rest of the world."  Duane Elgin
Just an update on the sacred space goal - the dishwasher guy did show up on Saturday (although he called from in front of the house as opposed to the 30-minute heads up that I was told would occur).  Anyway, long story short, the new dishwasher stuff  doesn't go with the existing water hose/pipe/set-up (sorry to be technical) so another $190 and, oh, by the way, we don't have that part on the truck.  So I'll have to sit home next Saturday and wait again.  I hope this dishwasher is worth it. 

I will tell you that over the last few months, doing the dishes has become my least favorite chore.  However, I do realize that using paper plates all the time isn't so good for the earth.  So, as indolent as I am, I need to suck it up and do the dishes. 

I'm also trying to start the reduce/reuse/recycle thing.  I am awful at this. I need to stop using the disposable stuff.  Outside of the office and my one friend's house, I really do not recycle my cans and bottles.  I think the only thing I actively reuse is grocery bags.  I don't even reuse leftovers.  Well, not very often, anyway.  My only saving grace in this area is that I keep the heat in the house pretty low (just ask my daughter).  Oh, and I do laundry with cold water.  And take the train to work.  And I pick up litter.  Those are good, right?

The problem is that, while my waste may make things more convenient for me, I'm living like I have no responsibility to be a caretaker of the planet (garden, if you will).  I don't always appreciate that there are others who need, or will need, the resources I am so frivolous with.   I doubt that I will ever be a full-fledged tree-hugger (is that bad to admit?) but I need to be looking for ways to get better at this during the year.  I don't want my great-great-grandkids' to live with my legacy of lazy disregard.

No comments:

Post a Comment