Thursday, December 6, 2012

Ask and You Shall Receive

I was thinking on the way home from work today (scary) of all the things I've asked God for over the last few days/weeks/months/years and wondering why He's never answered any of those prayers.  So I reviewed the most frequent ones and made a note of what I prayed for (WIPF) and how God answered (HGA).

WIPF:  I wish I could clean this stuff out of my house.  
HGA:   There are plenty of needy people who could really use your excess, plus you have a friend with a truck and weekends off.  Are you saying that you don't care enough about helping your neighbor to give up some of your spare time?

WIPF:  Help me lose weight and get in better shape  
HGA:   I made you different plants to eat; try them. I gave you a perfectly good body - get up and move. 

WIPF:  Ugh - these wrinkles.  I wish I didn't look so old.
HGA:   Those wrinkles are a mark of your experience and your years of walking with me.  Appreciate them.  And use sunscreen.

WIPF:  I miss being in a relationship  
HGA:   You have friends, and I'm always here, too. And if you like someone, I gave you a voice.  Use it.

WIPF:  I'm so tired all the time. Give me some energy.                        
HGA:   You know you can turn off the TV before 1, right?  But if you can't sleep, talk to me.  I can help. 

WIPF:  I wish I didn't make so damn many mistakes.     
HGA:   I forgive you.  Here's another new day. 

I guess the bottom line is, God answers me just like I answer (or should answer) my kid.  Sure He could give me everything I ask for, but I would just take it for granted.  I would recognize that He's already given me everything I need if I would just stop and use the common sense He also gave me.   I get it.  For now.  And I swear I've learned something, so how about it God - throw me a bone. 



1 comment: