Monday, December 17, 2012

Reflections on Another Birthday

I don't know exactly where I thought I'd be at 54, but I'm pretty sure this wasn't what I had in mind.  Doing the single mom thing - nope.  She's a good kid (must be from her father's side), so overall I suppose I'm lucky enough.  And, as others are so quick to point out to me, it could be worse. 

Anyway, here are ten things I've learned (or have been reminded of) this past year about life in general. 

Take it or leave it. 
  1. Do your best to set clear expectations, but don't be an ass when you're doing it.  Not everything has to be a federal case.
  2. People are going to hate/ignore/love/be offended by you, your words, or something you do at some point.  Try not to take it personally.  And when you do take it personally, try not to let on that you have.  
  3. Sometimes life is just hard and there's not a damn thing you can do about it. 
  4. People will often let you down.  Sometimes they mean to; sometimes they don't.
  5. You should have someone to grow old and out of shape with.
  6. In lieu of having someone to grow old with, you can sometimes make do with a cat.  Or a pile of books.  
  7. God will provide the things you need; not to be confused with the things you want.
  8. If you get a second chance, try not to screw it up.
  9. When you start to think too highly of yourself, someone will always take the time to make sure you know that you are not 'all that'.
  10. Whether you believe it or not (and whether you want it or not) God is around.

 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Great list, Linda. Not making a federal case out of my expectations (#1) has been an important part of my learning as a mom. I am a HUGE fan of second chances (#8), and I thank God every day for #10.

    I hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete