Friday, November 9, 2012

A Little Background

Well, I've already learned one thing about blogging.  SAVE YOUR WORK.   Dang.

So, anyway, a little background on this blog.   

This past summer, while on the church mission trip to beautiful Banner Elk, North Carolina, (seriously.  beautiful.  you should go), I find myself painting a house next to my pastor (let's call him "Bill").  Seeings as how I had already put my bid in to be an Elder, we got to chatting about which committee would be the best fit.  Long story short, there's an opportunity to be the Stewardship Chair.  I say "yes," not knowing what I was getting myself into.

Time passes.                       Stewardship season nears.

I meet with Bill to talk about the campaign and he tells me the theme this year is on living a proportionate life.  Sounds great!  I'm in!  Just let me know what you need me to do! Oh, and PS?  I'm about as disproportionate as they come.  Perfect.  My first gig as Elder and already I'm calling myself out as a hyprocrite.  How the heck do I lead the charge knowing how far off-base I am?
  
Time passes.                       Angst builds.

Last week, the newsletter arrives.  In it a four-page devotional titled, "Eight Days with a Proportionate God."  Wow.  Giving.  Gleaning.  Sacred Space.  Talents.  Sacred Time.  Sabbath Principle.  The Debt of Love.  I read it.  I pray over it.  I occasionally break out in a cold sweat.  I am, as originally feared, so NOT like this.  What am I going to do?  After much more prayer and coffee (not necessarily in that order or in the same quantity), I decide that the only thing I can do is to try and embrace the challenge myself.  Get my priorities in order.  If I can't lead by example, I can at least show them I'm trying, right?  RIGHT??

Now, left to my own devices (and any of you who know me even moderately well can attest to this) I would jump on this bandwagon and ride that puppy 'til the wheels fell off  for about a week.  Ok, a weekend.  Ok, ok, a day.  As long as there wasn't a really good sale at Macy's.  Man, I love me some Macy's.

This is where YOU come in.  In order to stick with this, I'm going to need to have somebody looking over my shoulder all the time (besides my daughter, who can generally be swayed with a box of Pocky or a trip to the bookstore).   Plan is to record the journey here starting this Sunday, November 11th (Stewardship Sunday!  Woot!).  I want to post something daily (perhaps more often if there is something that JUST.  CAN'T.  WAIT.)  Yes, I realize that I will most likely fall off the wagon (more than once) both with the challenge and with the posting, but I'm really going to try.  So let's see how far I can get by Stewardship Sunday 2013.

So follow.  Cheer me on.  Comment.  Forgive typos.  Pray for me.  Ooooor just wait for me to crash and burn.  It's all good.  Hopefully, by this time next year, I won't be ashamed to be Stewardship Chair.

Peace out 'til Sunday.



3 comments:

  1. EXCELLENT MY FRIEND!! We should see if we can get this on the fbook page! Love!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging! I look forward to your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I'll cheer you on and try to follow your lead. P.s. I also love me some Macy's.

    ReplyDelete