Friday, November 23, 2012

Black Friday

Giving

I’m thinking today about Christmas and the time-consuming joy of finding the perfect gift.  I actually don’t mind the shopping so much.  I don’t take the crowds, pushing and shoving, and long lines personally, as my husband was wont to do. 
I think that the best thing about giving someone a gift is that you get to express your love for them by demonstrating that you know who they are, what they truly need, what brings them joy.  That you pay attention to them.   A gift is a representation of my affection for, and connection with, another person.  The perfect gift is not one that they’re going to put on their list; it’s the one they may not even know that they want.
Just like the gifts that God gives me.
I believe that one or two perfect gifts beat the crap out of an under-the-tree-load of ordinary presents.  I realize that this isn’t how everyone thinks.  The panic-purchased universal scarf, sweater or gift card are fine.  And appreciated.  Don’t get me wrong, these are great presents.  Frankly, the tree-load approach is the one I was raised with.  And, when I was a kid, it was awesome.  But these days, the gift that comes from being considered, from being taken seriously, from intention, is the most wonderful.  
So, I’m making my list.  I think maybe a couple of the folks on my list might rather have my time over the next year more than anything tangible.  But, instead of rushing out to buy buy buy, I need to sit down and think think think.  Who are they?  Where is their heart?  I relive the past year with them looking for clues.  Often I have to pray for help.  I'm not always successful, so if you get a sweater from me, it's not because I don't love you.  This takes some time.  Don’t be surprised if you see me out shopping on Christmas Eve. 
"If instead of a gem, or even a flower, we should cast the gift of a loving thought into the heart of a friend, that would be giving as the angels give." - George MacDonald

No comments:

Post a Comment