Tuesday, November 27, 2012

When I Grow Up

Today has been the kind of day that, for no apparent reason, I stop and think about what I want to be doing with my life.  Not in any kind of heavy, existential, angsty way, just more like wondering.  Could I, should I, be doing something else? Something more?  What's missing in my life's Venn?

This morning, I had the pleasure of attending a meeting of the Philadelphia Presbytery.  As opposed to last month's meeting, this one was quite sedate - but still interesting.  During the meeting two candidates presented their Statement of Motivations, and another presented his Statement of Faith.  Now, I'm not saying I have any interest in becoming a member of the clergy, and, to be honest, I wasn't particularly inspired by the Statements.  But I did feel drawn to the world behind the speeches.  To be able to go back to school and learn something besides economics or industrial management.  To be an academe immersed in all things God.  To get credit for learning about my faith.  What a wonderful world that would be.  Sure I could do the reading on my own, but what's to show for it?  I know it sounds crazy, but I miss the lectures, the papers, the debates. Talk about sacred time in a sacred place...  Perhaps it will all have to go on my bucket list.

When I was in junior high, I thought I was going to be a zoologist.  In high school, an artist.  This evening, I'm watching a Chopped marathon on the Food Network, so now I want to be a cook.

By the morning, I'll probably want to be a pony. 

No comments:

Post a Comment