Thursday, November 15, 2012

Perspective

I started writing a different post today; another one driven by harsh introspection.  But I'm tired, and it was way too emotionally painful to think about, and my shoulder is really, REALLY killing me (willing to barter - pie of your choice for a shoulder massage) and so all that's going to have to wait. 

Instead I'm going to try and focus on the words in this poem and pray about my 2013 pledge card.   And go raid the first aid box in the coffee room for some ibuprofen.

Also, you should know that, yesterday at lunch I went for a brisk walk AND ate some vegetables.  In your face, getting healthy goal!  Booya!


My Symphony

Rev. William Henry Channing 

To live content with small means.
To seek elegance rather than luxury,
     and refinement rather than fashion.
To be worthy not respectable,
     and wealthy not rich.
To study hard, think quietly, talk gently,
     act frankly, to listen to stars, birds, babes,
     and sages with open heart, to bear all cheerfully,
     do all bravely, await occasions, hurry never.
In a word, to let the spiritual,
     unbidden and unconscious,
     grow up through the common.
This is to be my symphony.

I love that "grow up through the common" stanza.  Wish I could be living that more.

No comments:

Post a Comment